Thursday, July 25, 2013

My 10th Step Inventory For Today

"There is no elevator. I have to take the steps!

Step 3: Decide to turn my will and my life over to the care of God, the Eternal Father, and His Son, Jesus Christ.

Step 10: Continue to take personal inventory and when I am wrong promptly admit it.

Step 11: Seek through prayer and meditation to know the God’s will and to have the power to carry it out.

3rd Step Prayer
Dear Father,
I offer myself to Thee -
To build with me and to do with me
as Thou wilt.
Relieve me of the bondage of self,
that I may better do Thy will.
Take away my difficulties,
that victory over them
may bear witness to those I would help
of Thy Power,
Thy Love, and Thy Way of life.
May I do Thy will always!

Serenity Prayer
Father,
grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships
as the pathway to peace;
Taking, as He did,
this sinful world as it is,
not as I would have it;
Trusting
that He will make all things right
if I surrender to His Will;
That I may be reasonably happy
in this life
and supremely happy
with Him
Forever in the next.
Amen.

10th Step Prayer
Dear Father,
Please help me review my day.
Please grant me the willingness to see what Thou would have me see,
in the light Thou would have me see it:
free from morbid reflection, fear, obsessive guilt, and dishonesty.
Heavenly Father,
remove my Fears and show me Thy truth.
Show me all the harms I have caused with my behavior
and help me be willing to make amends to one and all.
Help me to be willing to go to any lengths to be
humble, faithful, and prayerful.
Honest, open and willing
in order to obtain The victory
over my addictions.

Serenity Prayer Principles Date: 07/25/2013

JUST FOR TODAY: God, grant me the serenity to accept that I cannot change my addiction and recovery overnight.
Grant me the serenity to accept that I cannot change the truth that I am a good person. I am not worthless. I am not invaluable.

Grant me the serenity to accept that I cannot change the truth that I am your son and that you love me.
Grant me the serenity to accept that I cannot change the truth that the worth of my soul is great in your sight, and that I am not alone. You with me. You are carrying me.
Grant me the serenity to accept that I cannot change the reality that at this time there is only one set of footprints on the sand and they are yours.
Grant me the serenity to accept that I cannot change the truth that I have to feel pain in order to become strong. Resistance and reliance are natural laws for growth that are eternal. Though mental and emotional pain in the crucible at at times almost unbearable, the crucible's purpose if to purify and refine me and I will not remain there forever.
Grant me the serenity to accept that I cannot change the truth that Christ's atonement IS applicable to me and that I am worthy of Thy love, Thy mercy, and the enabling power of the atonement to do all that I know I cannot do alone.

JUST FOR TODAY: God grant me the courage to choose to change my attitude. To be cheerful and to express thanksgiving, gratitude and joy for Thy love, guidance, and protection.

Grant me the courage to choose to change the way I see my wife. Please grant me the willingness to see her as Thou would have me see her, in the light Thou would have me see her.
Grant me the courage to choose to listen to my wife with my heart.
Grant me the courage to choose to speak kindly to my wife, and be quick to observe her needs and desires.
Grant me the courage to choose to take the batteries out of my bullhorn and put it on the shelf.

 Grant me the courage to choose to change my compulsion to be overly sensitive and take offense to what others say and do.
Grant me the courage to choose to change my judgemental attitude, to reserve judgement, and offer acceptance to all I encounter on my path. 
Grant me the courage to choose to give all I encounter on my path the benefit of the doubt.
Grant me the courage to choose to apply principles in the 12 steps and 12 traditions to myself and my loved ones.
Grant me the courage to choose to fully surrender my anger, resentment, fear, guilt, and shame to Thy care and the care of Thy son, Jesus Christ.
Grant me the courage to choose "to see myself as I really am, and trust that Thou wilt open my eyes, and I will begin to see myself as you see me—as one of Thy children with a divine birthright."  LDS ARP Manual, p. 23.

JUST FOR TODAY: God grant me the wisdom to choose to exercise my faith in Thy divine plan of happiness. "Believe in God; believe that he is, and that he created all things, both in heaven and in earth; believe that he has all wisdom, and all power, both in heaven and in earth; believe that man doth not comprehend all the things which the Lord can comprehend." Mosiah 4:9
Grant me the wisdom to choose to to be strong and courageous. "There shall not any man be able to stand before thee all the days of thy life: as I was with Moses, so I will be with thee: I will not fail thee, nor forsake thee.
Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the Lord thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest." Joshua 1:5, 9
Grant me the wisdom to choose to believe that all things work for good for them who love Thee. "And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose." Romans 8:28
Grant me the wisdom to choose to remember that I am one of Thy heirs and a joint-heir with my older brother, Jesus Christ. "The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:
And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.
For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us." Romans 8:16-18


Grant me the wisdom to choose to remember the words of Thy servant, Paul. "Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword?
Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us.
For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come,
Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us?" Romans 8:35, 37-39, 31.


JUST FOR TODAY: I 'm grateful this moment for the scriptures which comfort me, inspire me, and quicken me.
I 'm grateful this moment for the steak my sweetheart made last night. Leftovers made for an incredible lunch today.
I 'm grateful this moment for the ability to be able to read and write and express myself through words.
I 'm grateful this moment for the sunshine. The sky is blue and the sun is shining. These are
nature's testimonies that God truly lives and loves me.
I 'm grateful this moment for my family. I am blessed to know and love three of the strongest women in the world: My wife & my two daughters. I'm grateful for all that they do for me. I'm not going to take them for granted today.

JUST FOR TODAY: This moment is precious to me because I am realizing how blessed I truly am.
This moment is precious to me because I am realizing that although I face challenges today, there is nothing that God, my family, and I can't handle together.
This moment is precious to me because I know I am not alone. I know who is carrying me.
This moment is precious to me because I am learning how to apply the 12 traditions in my life.
This moment is precious to me because I am testifying that the words of Christ are true. "And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." John 8:32.
"Angels speak by the power of the Holy Ghost; wherefore, they speak the words of Christ. Wherefore, I said unto you, feast upon the words of Christ; for behold, the words of Christ will tell you all things what ye should do." 2 Nephi 32:3

JUST FOR TODAY: I accept the hardship of honesty as my pathway to peace.
I accept the hardship of being present as my pathway to peace.
I accept the hardship of willingness as my pathway to peace.
I accept the hardship of surrender as my pathway to peace.
I accept the hardship of trust as my pathway to peace.
I accept the hardship of work as my pathway to peace.
I accept the hardship of self acceptance as my pathway to peace.
I accept the hardship of covenants as my pathway to peace.
I accept the hardship of faith as my pathway to peace.
I accept the hardship of obedience as my pathway to peace.
I accept the hardship of truth as my pathway to peace.
I accept the hardship of vulnerability as my pathway to peace.
I accept the hardship of acceptance as my pathway to peace.
I accept the hardship of tolerance as my pathway to peace.
I accept the hardship of adversity as my pathway to peace.
I accept the hardship of forgiveness as my pathway to peace.

JUST FOR TODAY: I accept the reality of the truth that although I have been working on recovery, I have been neglecting my family.
I accept the reality of the truth that if I keep neglecting my family I will not have a family.
I accept the reality of the truth that the truest clinical experiences which prove whether the 12 Steps and 12 traditions really work and are worth their salt is my application of them with the people I love most within the walls of my own home.
I accept the reality of the truth that home is the most important place for me to practice the principles of recovery.
I accept the reality of the truth that my family does not care how much I know, they need to know how much I care for them.
I accept the reality of the truth that I'm withdrawing from my family, and it is hurting all of us. We are divided, not united.
I accept the reality of the truth that nothing will change unless I change and strap on my boots and lead them by loving them without expectations or conditions.

JUST FOR TODAY: God will make all things right for me because He knows my needs.
God will make all things right for me because He knows my righteous desires.
God will make all things right for me because He knows my heart.
God will make all things right for me because He knows where I am headed.
God will make all things right for me because He knows where I want to be.
God will make all things right for me because I am willing to seek His will for me and to receive the power to carry it out.

JUST FOR TODAY: I surrender my addictions to lust and intimacy anorexia to God's will.
I surrender my fear to God's will.
I surrender my future to God's will.
I surrender my life to God's will.
I surrender my will to God's will.
I surrender my happiness to God's will.
I surrender my recovery to God's will.
I surrender my willingness to God's will.
I surrender my heart to God's will.
I surrender my might to God's will.
I surrender my mind to God's will.
I surrender my strength to God's will.
I surrender my marriage to God's will.
I surrender my compulsion to withdraw to God's will.

JUST FOR TODAY: I am at peace with myself because I know I am a son of God.
I am at peace with myself because I know He has a plan for me.
I am at peace with myself because I know He cares about me and my welfare.
I am at peace with myself because I know He knows my family's needs.
I am at peace with myself because I know Jesus is my Deliverer.
I am at peace with myself because I know Jesus is my Savior.
I am at peace with myself because I know Jesus is my Rescuer.

I am at peace with myself because I know Jesus is my Redeemer. I am at peace with myself because I know Jesus is my Captain. I am at peace with myself because I know Jesus is my Creator.
I am at peace with myself because I know Jesus is my friend.
I am at peace with myself because I know Jesus loves me.
I am at peace with myself because I know Jesus loves my family.
I am at peace with myself because I know I am not alone.
I am at peace with myself because I know I am not comfortless.I am at peace with myself because I know I am not forsaken.

JUST FOR TODAY: I have hope that I can change because God knows that I can.
I have hope that I can love my family without conditions or expectations because God knows I can.
I have hope that my family will stay together because I am willing to show them that I love and care for them today.
I have hope that the poisons of past misunderstandings, grudges, and resentments will no longer sicken me because I am willing to surrender them to God's eternal love and mercy.
I have hope that I will be with my family forever because they are the best thing that has ever happened to me. They are my blood. They are my friends. And they are worth sacrificing comfort for conviction because I am willing to do all that it takes, whatever it takes, for as long as it takes to love them fiercely and be with them forever. 

Was I resentful today?
JUST FOR TODAY: YES NO
Towards whom? My wife.
Why? Because she was mad at me for taking a 2.5 hour nap.

Was I selfish today?
JUST FOR TODAY: YES NO
How? I took a 2.5 hour nap and then went to a meeting. I didn't help wash the dishes.
Why? I felt entitled because I had only had 4.5 hours of sleep the previous night. Not anyone else's fault. I stayed up too late. 

Was I dishonest today?
JUST FOR TODAY: YES NO

Was I afraid today?
JUST FOR TODAY: YES NO
Who? My wife.
How? I was afraid she would tell me that she wanted to divorce me and she would leave me.
Why? Because I have not been willing to connect with her emotionally, mentally, physically, or spiritually because I am terrified of being hurt. I  know that is only an illusion of my ego. I am constantly fighting my ego about those false beliefs.  However, my neglectfulness of my family is beginning to take it's toll. It's been long enough. The battle with my ego must end, and I must surrender my life and my will to God's care and exercise my faith to trust my family, to be vulnerable, and to be trusted by them.

Do I owe an apology to someone today?
JUST FOR TODAY: YES NO
Who? My wife and my girls.
Why? For being selfish, neglectful, and short sighted.
How? Taking a nap and not helping with the dishes.

Have I kept something to myself which should be discussed with another person at once?
JUST FOR TODAY: YES NO

Was I kind and loving toward all today? Why or why not?
JUST FOR TODAY: YES NO
Who? I was not kind and loving toward my family.
How? I was selfish.
Why? Because I was focused on myself and my needs and not on theirs. 

What could I have done better today?
JUST FOR TODAY: I could have done a better job serving and loving my family.

Was I thinking of myself most of the time today?
JUST FOR TODAY: YES NO
How? My own self care.
Why? Because I'm afraid that if I am not vigilant working my recovery, surrendering to God, and taking care of myself I will fall to pieces or will have a nervous breakdown. I see now that I am not really trusting God as I want to because I'm still trying to be in control of my life instead of allowing Him to take control and trusting that He will make all things right. I am very poor at finding balance in my life and my loved ones pay for it.  I hate that. Addiction! Self pity and self loathing! What a powerful, cunning, baffling disease! Thank God for the insights that come from working Step 10.



Or was I thinking of what I could do for others today? What could I pack into the stream of life today?
JUST FOR TODAY: YES NO
Why? I was focusing on myself and what I needed. I didn't practice being quick to observe the needs of others around me. This moment I am feeling shame and I surrender it to God's care. I am willing to follow His lead today to make amends and do better. I choose to be a part of the solution of service, not the problem of personality.

Did I ask for God’s forgiveness and inquire what corrective actions I should take today?
JUST FOR TODAY: YES NO
How? In my morning prayer and through working this step.
Why? Because I want to be with my loved ones. I don't want to withdraw and isolate myself from them anymore.

Did I continually to watch out for selfishness, dishonesty, resentment and fear trying to creep into my day today?
JUST FOR TODAY: YES NO
How? I ignored it. Pretended it was not there.
Why? Because I was afraid of falling to pieces and of making the choice to make amends and give myself permission to trust my wife and be vulnerable.

Did I ask God at once to remove them from my heart and mind?
JUST FOR TODAY: YES NO
Why? I wasn't ready or willing to surrender my false sense of security, and let down my walls.

Did I discuss them immediately with someone?
JUST FOR TODAY: YES NO
Who? My wife.
Why? Because she is the primary person being effected.
What? We had a very good and very open heart to heart. I know in my heart I need to trust her, and more openly show her that I care about her. She does not mean to hurt my feelings intentionally. I choose to be less judgemental and more forgiving. I give myself permission to act out on motivations I feel to express love, not out of compulsions I feel to react because of distorted perceptions of fear.

Did I make amends quickly with anyone I harmed today?
JUST FOR TODAY: YES NO
Who? My wife
How? Through the heart to heart we had last night.
Why? Because I don't want either of us to suffer anymore. We have both endured enough suffering. Surrendering to God's care is the wiser, gentler option for both of us.

Did I resolutely turn my thoughts to someone I could help today?
JUST FOR TODAY: YES NO
Who? My daughter.
How? I gave her a blessing before her new classes started.
Why? Family tradition, and she really wanted one. She has tremendous faith in priesthood blessings.

Is there anything I haven’t written about that I am not taking responsibility for and needs to be addressed and inventoried today?
JUST FOR TODAY: YES NO

Were you painfully honest about your day? How do feel having expressed yourself honestly?
JUST FOR TODAY: YES NO
I feel much better. I feel more peace. I feel more willing to trust my wife and my daughters and to earn their trust. I feel more love for my family. I feel more willing to be vulnerable and authentic with my family. I feel willing to surrender my fears, and grudges and resentments for something better. Peace, love, family and forgiveness. 

Were you a fair witness to yourself and others?
JUST FOR TODAY: YES NO

Sobriety Actions Checklist
o Did I surrender this morning? Yes No
o Did I read my scriptures today? Yes No
o Did I do step work today? Yes No
o Did I attend a meeting today? Yes No
o Did I help another addict today? Yes No
o Did I keep my blood sugars under control today? Yes No
o Did I take my meds as prescribed today? Yes No
o Did I call my sponsor today? Yes No
o Did I exercise today? Yes No
o Did I participate in anonymous service today? Yes No
o Did I meditate today? Yes No
o Did I fellowship with my family today? Yes No
o Did I express gratitude to my family today? Yes No
o Did I fast today? Yes No
o Did I attend the temple today? Yes No
o Did I study any recovery literature today? Yes No
o Did I listen to a speaker today? Yes No
o Did I record my victories today? Yes No
o Did I return and report to my Heavenly Father before bedtime? Yes No
10th Step Amends Prayer
""Dear Father, please forgive me for my failings today. I know that because of my failings, I was not able to be as effective as I could have been for Thee. Please forgive me and help me do better to recognize and do Thy will. I ask Thee now to show me how to correct the errors I have just outlined. Guide me and direct me. Please remove my arrogance and my fear. Show me how to make my relationships right and grant me the humility and power beyond my own natural ability to recognize and fully do Thy will."" (BB 86:1)"

I just needed to share today. I hope it helps someone somehow in someway. I know it has helped me.

Go forward in faith! God is in charge!

No comments: